Weekly Meal Prep on a Budget: Summer Salad with Baked Tofu and Lemon Tahini Dressing
I want to prove that it is not difficult to eat healthy food while on a tight budget. I’ll be sharing weekly recipes that are both friendly to your wallet and to your health. At the end of the grocery list, I’ll share how much I paid for each of the food items. Pantry staple items like olive oil, salt/pepper/rice are not included in the cost. This is another step that I’m taking to be financially conscious while not sacrificing my health.
There’s a heatwave going through LA right now, and I wasn’t in the mood to cook anything warm for my meal prep this week. I recently bought a new box grater, so I made good use of it in grating the veggies that went into this salad. Here’s to a refreshing recipe that’ll keep you cool for the summer!
Pair this recipe with a cool glass of white sangria for a refreshing dinner, or a glass of fresh soy milk for a protein punch!
- 1 Pack Firm Tofu — $3.00
- Carrot — $0.50
- Cucumber — $1.00
- Celery — $2.00
- Lemon — $1.00
- Tahini — $3.00
- Olive Oil — $0.00
- Garlic Powder — $0.00
- Salt — $0.00
- Pepper — $0.00
- Soy Sauce — $0.00
Total Budget: $10.50, $2.10 per Serving
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Prep Method — Baked Tofu:
- Set oven to 400F.
- Cube the tofu into 1-inch pieces. Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil over the cubes, and season lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bake for 30 minutes, tossing halfway so both sides cook evenly.
Prep Method — Veggies:
- Grate a whole carrot and cucumber on the side of the box grater with the largest holes (the slicer).
- Thinly chop celery to equal around quarter cup.
- Add the carrots in a small mound to the bottom of a bowl, and layer the thinly sliced cucumbers around the mound. Line the mound with the celery. Store the leftover veggies in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Squeeze a little bit of lemon juice over the veggies and top with baked tofu.
Prep Method — Lemon Tahini Dressing:
- Add two tablespoons of water to three heaping tablespoons of tahini.
- Add half a teaspoon of garlic powder, a splash of soy sauce, a pinch of black pepper, and juice from a lemon half.
- Mix well with a spoon, and drizzle on top of assembled salad!
Here’s my salad!
Did you try this recipe? Let me know how it went!